- University of Wisconsin (J.D., 1989)
- University of Wisconsin (B.A., Broadcast Journalism, 1982)
- Rhinelander High School (Home of the Hodag) (1978)
- Russell B. Stowers, PLLC (2012-present): Manager of his own litigation firm, serving selected clients in Arizona and across the country.
- Law Offices of Joel L. Herz (2006-2012): Boutique litigation practice in professional liability, business and environmental cases; risk management for law firms, lawyers and insurers.
- Snell & Wilmer, LLP (1989-2006): Litigation partner at the largest law firm in Arizona and one of the largest in the West, with 400+ lawyers across five states; served as in-house risk manager/counsel for the firm.
- Radio news and sports (1975-1986): Radio voice of University of Wisconsin Basketball and other U.W. sports; newscaster for Wisconsin Public Radio and commercial stations in Wisconsin; contributor to National Public Radio, newspapers and other media.
Professional and Community Service
- Has served as mediator, arbitrator and Settlement Judge Pro Tempore
- Provider of pro bono legal services to the poor, homeless and military families
- Coach for youth baseball, football and other sports
- Special Olympics golf coach
- Born July 6, 1960 on Guam
- Father was a math professor; mother was an investigative newspaper reporter
- Wisconsin native who has lived in Arizona since 1989
- Married to an Arizona Teacher of the Year and father of two
- NFL owner (owns a single share of stock in the Green Bay Packers)
- Finished six marathons (all slowly)